Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Eureating What?

The best part of traveling? This is not a trick question: Eating. While we had some damn fine non-traditional foods while abroad - tapas in Berlin or Indonesian in Amsterdam, for example - I think we did a good job of sampling local cuisines.

Here are some highlights:

Frites, chips, fries - whatever you want to call them, I ate SO many fried potatoes on vacation, I've sworn them off through the end of the year.
Belgian waffle with chocolate sauce ... yummmmmm

Mussels in Belgium. Expensive and honestly not any better than the mussels you get in the States.

Dutch food - Renee had a chicken pancake (crepe-like) with a sort of curry sauce and I had a hutspot - potatoes mashed with carrots and onions, topped with what I would describe as little meatloafs. Deee-lish. Oh and hot chocolate!

Pickled herring sandwich from a street vendor in Amsterdam. Really good but your hands will smell of herring for the rest of the day.

Dutch cheese tasting - learning is delicious!

Currywurst , a Berlin specialty. I loved it.

White ("breakfast"?) sausage with pretzel and kaesespaetzle - basically German mac n cheese.

Ireland was the only place I needed to take tums. All week my system was a little, um, off. Suspect #1: Guinness beef stew with carrots and cabbage.

This was what I would describe as a seafood pot pie with peas and chips. And a hot whiskey.
Fish n' Chips = of course!! It was the size of my arm!

No comments:

Post a Comment