Sunday, December 20, 2009

Austin

My first time in Austin - finally - did not disappoint. It's about 60-70 miles North, so Nels Nelson and I went up this past Saturday night.

First stop: a restaurant downtown called Lambert's, which, according to their website, serves up inventive BBQ, modern Texas cooking, and carefully prepared cocktails. It was sooooo good. And, to our delight, there was a band playing swing/jazz music and people dancing in the upstairs area where we ate. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it was really cool.



If you've ever traveled with me, you know I love taking food pictures. Shots of our salad (pecans, ricotta cheese, grapes, apple-cider vinaigrette) and what's left of our broiled oysters (topped with Parmesan, tomatoes, smoked bacon). Entrees: I got grouper with shrimp bisque sauce and he got a Yoakum Akaushi Prime Beef Strip, after I persuaded him to, so I could try it too!




Next we went to The Ginger Man, who, according to their website, strives to provide the best selection of fine imported and domestic beer and wine in comfortable surroundings. Indeed. There was a wall of beers on tap, much of it local, including what I got: (512) Pecan Porter. (512) is an Austin-based microbrewery. I didn't know that after I ordered it; they already had me at "pecan."


And here's me on the street downtown with a view of the Texas capitol building behind me. Our final stop was uptown, by UT, to see some bands. The venue, next to the hip Spider House Cafe, only hosts shows occasionally. We saw two great bands for $7 (there were actually 6 bands playing). Size wise, the place was somewhere between the Mercury lounge and the (old?) Knitting Factory main space - in other words, smallish/perfect size. Despite it being an all-ages show, we were definitely surrounded by peers and there was more than enough breathing room.

A super good first impression of Austin. I shall return.

By the way, while the Northeast got hit with a blizzard, here is Nels Nelson on the same weekend walking his dog in a t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment